One of the most routine issues that we encounter at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Charlotte is dusty air filters. They might seem like a very insignificant piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a dirty air filter can cause a variety of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you don’t remember to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you could encounter:
- Reduced airflow. This is easily the largest headache you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the danger of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes unattended for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any possible damage that might come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters we carry, give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at or schedule an appointment online.