Each year over 20,000 people go to the hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is put off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Shut off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally examined and cleaned every year.
The best thing you can do for your heating equipment is to be sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 704-464-4307 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.