When severe weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during bad weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Charlotte, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Charlotte or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 704-464-4307 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.